The girls are getting to the stage where they each have their opinions of what should be playing on the radio when we're driving.
E-- Mom. Push the button and play Move it, Move it.
R-- Praise 106.5, please. *singing at the top of her lungs*
A-- Nothing with talking, Mom.
But, I control the radio.
My strategy-- get everyone where they need to be... alive... and without fighting.
So, when I want them to look out the window or if they are just ignoring me, I turn on some traffic/ news station. This is only good for short trips.
Peace and quiet= "Adventures in Odyssey". They've heard all the recordings a million times, but they still call for them again and again. I've heard them so many times I actually tune them out and start singing. This action leads to cries of "stop singing" and "turn it up, I can't hear". So, I just drive.
Mom's turn= CBC. Yup. I'm turning into my mother. She always listened to this. I like the fact that I can arrive at my destination more informed than I was at the beginning of the trip.
Alone time= Nothing on the radio. Relish the silence. This only works when there are no kids in the car. This is the best time to pray. I love the drive to work.
Let's talk= No Radio. No Tape. No CD. Just quiet. The best part of the school day are the 10 minutes in the van on the way home. Listen to the chatter. I hear so many things. "you like so-and-so?!" "I have so much homework". "Today, no one played with me!" "That was such a great lunch". "Piano Lessons?!" So many important conversations happen in the confines of a vehicle. I think I'll do the "birds and bees" talk in the car. With the kid in the backseat-- trapped. At night, so she can't see my face, but can still ask questions. This day is approaching very quickly.
Dad's turn= The fist-pumpin'-head- bangin' sounds of the latest rock legend. Played really really loud. I hate it when he's in charge of the radio. But, a deals a deal. You drive, you get to control the radio. I'm so busy handing out snacks and baby wipes that the noise just becomes background after a while.
Mom's going crazy= loud dance radio. You'll see and hear us coming. We like to car dance.
You'll be able to tell what kind of day it is by what's on the radio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RfEYtboKbc
No comments:
Post a Comment