Saturday, January 8, 2011

Friday Nights

When I was working full-time, we decided that Friday nights would be "pizza/movie night". Although I'm not working full-time now, the tradition has stuck. Our kids look forward to this every week. No one has to ask "what's for dinner," I don't have to think about what's for dinner, and the kids get to choose the movie. (Last night it was "Nana Mack-pee" as E likes to call it). We've even made a dumb song about it. It's called "comfy cozy night." I'm sure it's destined to be a top 40 hit one of these days. PJ's and blankets are a must, and it's the only time we're allowed to eat in front of the TV.

Mike has some conflicting emotion with this movie choice, particularly when the Canucks are playing. And, how many times can one family watch "Finding Nemo" before the parental decision of "not again" needs to kick in!? Sometimes, we just sit at the table and let our kids zone out. It's kind of like a date at home. Sometimes we have let other people share our comfy cozy night. Like last night. Mere and Kevin joined us. We like them.

Most of the time we have pizza from Costco. But, this week they were sold out of my favorite kind. The nerve. So, we decided to order the best deal in take-out going... Rendezvous. We fed 8 people for $40. Yes. Best yet, instead of paying for a taxi, Kevin helped us pay for dinner. (Gosh, I like that guy. He's going to make a great bro-in-law). Let me clarify... I was his taxi. I drove him around yesterday. I drove Mere around yesterday. Did I earn my dinner? Well, I'd like to say that it was a you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours kinda day. Again, I like them. It works out.

Lately, Mike has been pre-occupied with getting ready for Friday night hockey instead of sitting down and watching a show with us. Truthfully, it suits me just fine. Friday has become my mindless night. I just save up all my taped TLC shows of stuff he hates to watch and have a little "I can't believe she would wear that" fest. So, instead of hating Friday nights, I really look forward to them. Perhaps it's the routine. Perhaps it's the TLC shows. Or, it could be the fact that I like my kids and I like spending time with them. I figure, if I invest the time and energy into them now, they will keep coming back later on.

So, Friday night is family night in our house. Don't mess with it. It's tradition.

1 comment:

  1. I like this very much.
    What do you get at Rendezvous for $40.00? We usually do Panago.
    We watched "Despicable Me" last weekend during our family night, and today we're going to ARC.

    ReplyDelete