Saturday, January 15, 2011

Why I love Saturday Mornings.

I think Saturdays are God's gift to the week. In particular, Saturday mornings. No one has to be anywhere, really. Well, unless they planned something. BUT WHY? WHY?! Why would you subject yourself to another rush-around kinda morning? (Ok, I had a little bit of a rush around with A today to get her out the door for choir camp, but now, nothing). No plans= good.

1. I love Saturday morning waffles. Who can justify eating strawberries and whipped cream as part of a balanced meal on any other day? Milk. Fruit. Bread group. It works. We recently acquired a new-to-us Waring Pro Professional Waffle Maker. This is the flip over kind that you've used at hotel breakfasts. It makes absolutely perfect waffles. The syrup fills the little squares just right. Then I discovered this great pancake mix-- Sunny Boy made with Spelt flour-- at my favorite store (Costco). Super duper goodness. In fact, I am enjoying one right now as I write this.

2. Coffee. It pairs perfectly with the aforementioned waffles. But, I'm turning into a coffee snob. Life is too short to drink bad coffee. Sorry all you Tim Horton's fans, but I'm a Starbucks girl (Grande Americano no room, please). I prefer to use a french press (Bodum) when I'm at home (And, I bought one for my camping kit, too). I grind the Starbucks espresso beans that I buy at.... wait for it.... Costco. Again, I am enjoying a cup of this black gold as I sit here.

3. Sleeping in. I consider 8 AM sleeping in. Yes, I am a mom.

4. DVD players. One thing I learned early on is to embrace technology and teach it to your kids. This is why my then 2 year old knew how to work the VCR. Saturday mornings are "watch what you wish until mom and dad get up" days. Don't wake mom and dad, kids. It's not worth it.

5. Projects. This is the part that Mike hates. He would prefer to sit and play video games all day. I want to clean stuff and declutter and feel productive. We had to establish a rule that states we were allowed to be lazy until noon. After that, game on.

6. I'm probably still wearing my pj's. Yup. Still am. Must be Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment