It's a crazy time.
The only agenda we have is to come up with something creative.
And that's where the agenda ends. Hopefully at the end of an hour and a half we've come up with something. This is often a series of rabbit trails, shouting ideas, using a flippy chart, checking out websites, editing videos... Mostly, we try to find a creative way to get the message across.
It can get a little nuts. (I have to admit, it's usually my fault. I am all over the place in my popcorn-brain! Just call me the queen of "random").
Someone should have warned the new guy.
It should have been part of his interview.
I'm not sure if he knew what hit him. He politely thanked us all at the end, but I'm certain he drove home shaking his head.
He took it all in stride, but he's leading the meetings from now on.
So, as a "veteran" on this committee, I am offering some words of wisdom:
* start on time, end 90 min. later-- things go completely off the wall after 90 minutes.
* make sure the coffee is decaf.
* encourage the cookie-maker to keep coming back!
* you have to hum and whistle at the same time. It keeps us focussed.
* we will always have your back, even if we don't agree on the title you came up with for the sermon series
* we will provide constructive criticism, but don't get bogged down in the negative unless you know you can learn from it.
* go home for dinner
* surround yourself with mentors and good friends
* pray always
* sing
* know your purpose
* recognize that you are part of a divine plan
* be approachable
* communicate well
* laugh with us and at us
* celebrate success and failures
Welcome, new guy. We're glad to have you.
No comments:
Post a Comment