A few years ago, we started a family "tradition" of spending the Canada Day holiday in Harrison Hot Springs. For a little village, they KNOW how to put on a fireworks display! We made the mistake of trying to get home after the fireworks a few years ago, so now we just book my mom and dad's condo for the days around Canada Day. It's relaxing-- no phone, no cable, and (usually) no internet. (This time I was able to tap in to someone's wireless, so we are connected). The girls sleep late, read books, and have watched almost all the episodes in season 2 of Gilligan's Island. I am getting a little tired of the shenanigans, but they find it quite amusing. Mike keeps assuring them-- "don't worry about the storm, girls, they were on the island for 15 years". Phew. I thought they'd never get rescued.
On Canada Day, A and R were in the Abbotsford parade with their twirling group. I am proud to say, we did it right this time! I packed a picnic, a big umbrella, the bbq, and met some friends and family for the big "show". I'll post some pictures soon.
Then off to Harrison for their big "parade". This consisted of two firetrucks, some decorated bikes, and the mayor in a boat. Elyse loved the "hoorade". I tried to get into it, but, honestly, it was a little lame. The candy was good. Then, a hamburger barbeque with our Dutch friends. Followed by the fireworks. They were worth the wait!! 25 minutes of delight. Elyse hated it. The rest of us ooohed, and ahhhed.
In all of this, I've been waiting for a recall phone call-- and I got one. On top of that, I got the job I wanted. It was a good day. I decided I need ice cream to celebrate. Mike decided we should watch how Gilligan and friends got off the island. That was an hour I will never get back. Really. Really! Really? Lame. Ok-- don't waste your time. Spoiler alert-- they get off the island. The professor's pants never get dirty, Gillian still has his hat, and the professor is still plump, even after a 15 year diet of coconuts, pineapple, and bananas.
Hot tubbing and playing in the park are high on our to-do list. Perhaps we'll even try to find some farmer's markets and do something with ourselves. Mini-holidays are fantastic!
No comments:
Post a Comment