Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Climbing up on my Lap.

I'm not really a morning person. I love the time when I hear the busy-ness downstairs and feel cozy and comfortable in my bed. I love listening to the girls chatting, playing, making lunches, compromising, getting dressed and talking to their daddy. I tell them I'm tired, but really, I love the noises they make. Well, most noises (screaming is always an exception), and sometimes I really just want to sleep in. But, today, I loved listening. It's my "day off", but not for anyone else, so I feel completely justified in laying there and just "being." So, I got up late, didn't feel like getting dressed, and just sat in a chair and stared out the window. I don't usually do that. But, I just got my really old chairs recovered and needed an excuse to sit in them for a while. On the outside, I may have appeared calm, but my head was spinning. I was making a list of all the things I had to do that day and feeling completely overwhelmed.

Then something happened.

She climbed into my lap and kissed my cheek.

She never does that.

Another hug. Another kiss. A smile. My heart melted, but my head was still spinning. "Gotta Do" list was growing...

She grabbed my cheeks and forced me to stare in her blue eyes. It was meaningful and magical.

What was my problem? How many of these moments have I missed in my rush to get somewhere, clean something, or do something? Don't get me wrong, these things have to get done, but do I sit down long enough for my kids to climb on to my lap? I know my oldest is 10 and shares my shoes, but she still needs to sit on my lap once in awhile.

Thanks for reminding me that you still need me.

No comments:

Post a Comment